Former San Pedro Honorary Mayor John Bagakis compares his Italian and Greek heritage and tells the story of how his family immigrated to San Pedro from the two sides.
Januray 14, 2021
Stories of Los Angeles Harbor Area: For Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
Vol. II, No. 39 John Bagakis reveals his Greek & Italian Heritage
John is former Honorary Mayor of San Pedro, general manager of Big Nick’s Pizza, and currently serves as Harbor Area Planning Commissioner.
He talks as always with gusto and enthusiasm, about his mother’s family coming to the San Pedro from Sicily and his father from Crete in Greece. He’s “pure island” heritage that’s so much part of the great immigration stories of yore.
John is a staunch supporter of local business and culture. A great example youth and the populace to participate and make a difference in the community and beyond.
Other Memories From John Bagakis
- Watching Italian Soccer at Grandparents House — John Bagakis
- Pride of Being Greek – John Bagakis
- Greek & Italian Heritage – John Bagakis
- Becoming Honorary Mayor – John Bagakis
- How Big Nick’s Fed 2,000 Hungry Cruise Ship Passengers – John Bagakis
- Greek and Italian Soccer Championships – John Bagakis
- Dive Bars of San Pedro – John Bagakis